Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers and Gaylord boxes are popular for storing and transporting products and materials such as loose parts, granular materials, powders, and even liquids. But how do I know which option is right for me?
I’m currently using Gaylord boxes. Is there a better and more reliable option to ship my materials? What’s an FIBC? How are Gaylord boxes different? Let’s answer these questions and more and determine which of these options is right for your business.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog by filling out the “Subscribe to our blog updates” form to the right!
What are Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers?
Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers are industrial containers that are made of woven polypropylene which may or may not be coated with an additional polypropylene film. They are used for transporting and storing large quantities of dry flow-able products such as powders and granule materials. They can be easily filled through the top of the bag and conveniently emptied, or discharged, through the bottom.
They are intended for storing and transporting large volumes of material with safe working loads typically ranging from 2,000lbs. – 4,000lbs. They are also highly customizable and can be made in different sizes with varying filling and discharge options, a wide range of cubic foot capacities, food grade BRC (British Retail Consortium) and AIB (American Institute of Baking) certification, and type A, B, C, and D bags for electrostatic applications.
Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers are a safe and clean option and are made from 100% polypropylene, which can be recycled by the truckload and even reused under certain conditions (it is recommended that only bags with a 6:1 safety factor be reused). They are easy to stack and ship and can be folded packed tightly after use for efficiency.
3 key benefits of FIBCs over Gaylord Boxes
1) FIBCs are more economical
Using bulk bags can save you money in a variety of ways:
- Increase efficiency: flexible intermediate bulk containers increase the speed in which you can fill and empty your product from the container. Instead of having to either manually empty the container or dump the contents out of a container, FIBCs offer a variety of discharge options. The most common discharge option is utilizing a spout on the bottom of the bag. The bottom spout is an efficient and precise method of discharging contents of a container
- Shipping costs: If you use a third party logistics company to ship your product to your customers and/or to your various facilities, you most likely are paying based on the weight of the product you are shipping. Gaylord boxes can reduce net weight because they use bulky materials such as thick ply corrugated and heavy wooden pallets. Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers are lightweight and increase net weight normally reduced by the use of Gaylord boxes.
- They can be reused and recycled: Under certain conditions, bags can be reused and recycled by the truckload (it is recommended that only bags with a 6:1 safety factor be reused).
2) FIBCs save storage/warehouse space
- Before being filled, bags come 125-500 per pallet depending on the size of the bag. Many Gaylord boxes can be deconstructed or folded until needed as well, but they also require pallets, which are bulky and cumbersome.
- When filled, bulk bags are designed to maintain their shape and can be stacked allowing you to optimally use your storage/warehouse space.
- Although some Gaylord boxes can be stacked, many cannot which is a limiting feature, especially when efficient use of warehouse space is imperative.
3) FIBCs offer a variety of customizable options
Custom bags can be manufactured specifically to cater to your unique product, equipment and application. An added benefit is custom does not necessarily mean more expensive. In fact, custom can often lead to cost savings.
Custom bag features include:
- Safe working loads up to 5,000lbs
- A wide range of cubic foot capacities
- With or without polyethylene liners
- Baffles or no baffles
- Duffle top, spout top, or full discharge bottom
- Different bag colors
- Custom printing
- Food grade BRC and AIB certification
- Type A, B, C, and D bags fabric for static protection
More custom options are available.
As you can see flexible intermediate bulk containers are a safe, efficient, clean and green method of storing and transporting a large amount of materials from agricultural and food processing industries to construction and landscaping. While shipping products and materials in Gaylord boxes on pallets may have a long history, bulk bags are the future when it comes to transporting and storing free-flowing materials.
Whether you are buying ten or 100,000+ bags, we have a solution for you. Our experts know that every customer and application is unique and they work with you to determine whether one of our 50+ in-stock bags or a custom manufactured bag is best for your specific needs.
To start working on your custom bag solution, contact us by clicking here and filling out the “Get Quote” form or call us at 1-888-237-4224.
Thanks for reading!
Safety and reliability are our top priorities. Each bag that we sell has a safe working load (SWL). To make sure the product you’re packing will not exceed the SWL of the bag you’re interested in, you’ll need to know the bulk density of the product you’re packing as well as the cubic foot capacity of the bag.
Click the button below to download our Product Weight Guide and FIBC Volume Calculator to help you determine how much weight a specific bag will hold.