Paper window bags are a staple in the agricultural industry. Due to their sturdy paper construction and the window that allows product to be showcased, many retail agricultural operations prefer the paper window bag over any other packaging option.
While there is an argument to be made for not messing with a good thing, or fixing something that isn’t broken, the paper window bag has seen some significant changes recently.
Let’s explore the paper window bag in more detail and examine these recent changes and the trends that spurred them.
The Basics and Benefits of Paper Window Bags
Paper window bags are pretty much exactly what you would expect from the name – paper bags with windows in them. However, they aren’t exactly that simple.
The bag itself is constructed of heavy-duty paper, making it strong enough to stand up to abuse while being flexible enough to be used in many different applications.
The “window” is often made of a clear plastic sheet that covers an opening in the paper bag. However, mesh windows are used commonly as well. Meshes can come in different colors to match the color of the potatoes (example: red mesh to match red potatoes and so on). The window offers several benefits, including:
- Quality assurance: During the packaging process, the window allows workers to visibly examine the product within the package. This can help to ensure that the appropriate amount of product has been packaged, and that the packaged product is free of defects.
- Product showcasing: After packaging the window allows retailers to clearly showcase the product within the bag. Few other packaging options allow the product within to be visibly displayed like the paper window bag.
- Air venting: The window in a paper window bag allows for air circulation, which is a critical part of storing produce. Without this air circulation, produce contained within the bag would likely spoil at a much faster rate.
Moving the Window
Recently, a shift in trends has led to the window in paper window bags to be moved to the rear, instead of its traditional front placement. While the relocation of the window’s placement may seem like a relatively minor matter, the move offers a few benefits to today’s manufacturing and retail operations.
These benefits include:
- Increased visibility on shelves: We’ve already discussed how the window allows retailers to showcase the product within the bag. However, moving the window to the rear of the bag allows manufacturers to add high definition – and high visibility – artwork to the front of the bag. In an age of uber competitive retail shelf placement, any advantage can make the difference in propelling sales. Adding unique and eye-catching artwork to the bag, while maintaining the ability for customers to visibly inspect the product within, offers the best of both worlds.
- Streamlined operations: As facilities automation solutions continue to gain in popularity, packaging must evolve to support these streamlined manufacturing processes. For example, some new automated packaging machines lack the ability to rotate bags during the filling process, making it difficult for operators to visibly inspect product. Moving the window to the rear of the bag allows businesses to make use of paper window bags even when their automation solutions – namely packaging machines – are not designed with the old style in mind.
It is important to note that while many vendors have embraced moving the window to the rear of the bag, most will continue to offer the classic paper window bag in its original configuration with the window in the front of the packaging.
Talk to Your Vendor to Learn Which Paper Window Bag is Right for You
Paper window bags offer the flexibility, visual appeal and affordability needed to make them viable solutions for many applications. At National Bulk Bag, our experts are here to help you review your application needs to determine the ideal packaging solution. We can help you identify and order the ideal paper window bags to fit your exact needs, including customizing the size, window location, bag color and even high-definition artwork.
Contact us to discuss your paper window bag needs.
Your Agriculture Bag Needs From Farm to Retail
We stock one of the largest inventories of agricultural produce bags in the United States. Whether you are packing potatoes, oranges, seed, onions, , firewood or any other produce, we stock or can manufacture a bag to meet your requirements.
We are the produce bag experts and are ready to provide you with:
- One of the largest stock inventories in the U.S.
- Same-day shipping, and just-in-time delivery.
- Custom bag solutions.
- Manufacturing, warehouse solutions, and distribution located coast to coast.
To gain access to our comprehensive Agricultural Produce Bags In-Stock List click the button below!