Bulk Bags (also known as Jumbo Bags) have proven to be effective for storing and transporting a variety of products and materials but a new use for these versatile woven polypropylene bags has recently emerged. The most common method of damming off property is stacking polypropylene sandbags but recently, FIBCs have been found to be great for emergency water control and building cofferdams.
Let’s examine why Jumbo Bags are great for building cofferdams as well as some best practices for building cofferdams using FIBCs. For regular updates, subscribe to our blog by filling out the “Subscribe to our blog updates” form to the right.
Using Jumbo Bags for Building Cofferdams
Cofferdams are a watertight enclosure pumped dry to permit construction work below the waterline, as for example when building bridges or repairing a ship. Bulk bags are perfect for building cofferdams because they:
- Can be quickly deployed and quickly removed when the temporary dam is no longer needed.
- Can be built to any configuration.
- Can be built to accommodate different heights as well as variable river depths and extremely irregular river beds.
When using bulk bags to build cofferdams, you will need a few additional supplies to effectively keep the area dry. Polyethylene tarps are required used to prevent water from seeping between the bags and further seal the area. You also need bag filler. FIBCs used for building temporary dams can be filled with clean gravel OR sand up to 95% capacity. It is also quite typical for big bags and traditional sandbags to be used alongside each other when building a cofferdam. using sandbags to fit smaller areas where a jumbo bag may not fit.
Looking for Bulk Bags and/or Sandbags to Build a Cofferdam?
At National Bulk Bag, we have over 50+ bags in-stock ready for same-day shipment. For a Jumbo Bag that is perfect for building cofferdams, click here to see our 35x35x35 FIBC with coating. You can also visit our sister company Sandbag Express to buy these bags on the eCommerce store as well as:
- White Sandbags: 14” x 26” High UV Empty White Sandbags with Ties
- Burlap Sandbags: 14” x 26” Burlap Sandbags
- Orange Sandbags: 14” x 26” High UV Empty Orange Sandbags with Ties
- Orange Barrier Sandbags: 18” x 27” High UV Empty Orange Sandbags with Ties
- Gold Sandbags: 14” x 26” Heavy-Weight High UV Gold Sandbags
- Gold Barrier Sandbags: 17” x 29” Heavy-Weight High UV Gold Sandbags
- Bulk Bags: 35 x 35 x 35 3,000 LB. Bag with Coating.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our experts by giving us a call at 1.888.237.4224 OR by clicking here and filling out the form.
Thanks for Reading!
Thanks for visiting the National Bulk Bag blog! We hope you found this post helpful and informative.
Safety and reliability is our number one priority. Each bag that we sell has a safe working load (SWL) – with the most common being 2,200lbs and 3,000lbs. To make sure the product you’re packing will not exceed the SWL of the bag you’re interested in, you’ll need to know the bulk density of the product you’re packing as well as the cubic foot capacity of the bag.
Click the link below to download our Product Weight Guide and FIBC Volume Calculator to help you determine how much weight a specific bag will hold.